One of my friends is working in an HIV/AIDS project in my village. The many aims of the project are…
• to reach people with HIV/AIDS
• information education and communication on HIV
• Home based care services
• Care and support for people living with HIV/AIDS
• To encourage people to go for HIV testing and concealing [HTC]
• To illuminate stigma and discrimination against people living with HIV/AIDS[PLWHA]
• Ensure that people living with HIV/AIDS are aware of taking responsibility's for protecting themselves from infection and protecting others from infections.
They also distribute the following items to [PLWHIV/AIDS]: beans, ground nuts [peanuts], washing soap, and bathing soap. They also provide transport for them to collecting their Anti-Retroviral (ARV) medicines to and from Kasungu district hospital. They started with 1 person with HIV/AIDS but now they have reached 120 people with HIV/AIDS. They hope they can reach more but the difficult is transport to reach remote areas. Mack and Dolt donated some bikes, but is not enough. Here is a picture of the people with HIV/AIDS receiving some food, and group of the volunteers.
HIV/AIDS is a huge problem in Malawi, with over 1,000,000 people in our population of 13.4 million people infected. 100,000 die annually. Since 1987, over 80,000 teachers have died. At the end of 2007, about 150,000 people in the country were now taking ARV medicines.